Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ombama, part II

Margaret and I were lying in bed yesterday night. I was reading the paper as Margaret got comfortable for her evening books. I turned the page, reading something about the failed bailout package in the House, when Margaret reached up, pointed at a picture on the other page of the paper, and said, "Ombama." I glanced at the picture and said, "Yep, you're right."

"But who's that?," I asked, pointing at a picture of McCain that was immediately next to Obama's picture.

For full disclosure, despite the impression that dedicated readers may have gotten from my last post, I don't consider myself to be a real partisan, unlike Abby, as I liked McCain ok pre-2006, pre-McCain-Feingold, pre-pandering to his base, and, most of all, pre-his VP selection. While I'm inclined to favor Obama at this point, I've really just pointed him out to Maggie because his image is everywhere, especially online. Her ability to identify him is cute, in the same way that her ability identify Dora is cute. But if it happens to make Abby happy, then I'm fine with it.

Returning to my question for Margaret, she responded in the way that she often does when she doesn't know the answer, by repeating the question. "Who's that?," she asked. "McCain," I said. Got no reaction.

Then tonight, we were watching the Cubs and surfing the web while waiting for Mama to get home from work. Margaret was very excited about watching the game. She always refers to the Cubs as "Go Cubs!", and she was very adamant: "I want to watch Go Cubs!" At some point, Margaret spotted a picture on the computer that she correctly identified as Ombama. "But who's that?," I asked, again pointing to McCain. And again, no response. But she doesn't really have it down as she saw another picture of someone with his back partially turned to the camera and proudly said, "Ombama." "Nope," I said, "That's Bush."

Speaking of the Cubs, they're currently down 5-2 to the Dodgers. I haven't posted any pics of the kids in their Cubs regalia because I didn't want to jinx anything. Hopefully, the Cubs will be able to pull this one out. Regardless, we're heading to Chicago this weekend for Abby's 10th year law school reunion. We're kicking the kids to the grandparents' house for Friday and Saturday nights while we'll stay with friends in the city. Needless to say, we're pretty excited. Even better, I got a call yesterday from some friends who told me that one of them had a ticket for tomorrow night's game that he can't use. Could I take it? If I do, Abby and the kids will head to the 'burbs while I go to the game and stay in the city. I said that I had to check with Abby first. Her response: "Of course, you should go. If you don't take the ticket, I will!" So tomorrow night at 8:30 PM CST, Abby and the kids will be in the 'burbs watching the VP debate with my parents while I'm at Wrigley. Go Cubs!

No comments: