Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dancing princess

We went to my cousin's wedding in eastern Ohio this past weekend, and I have a few observations.

Because we were in a "battleground" state (unlike DC where the only battle is whether the Democrat breaks 90%), we paid special attention to the distribution of political signs and stickers. Interestingly, we saw about a 50-50 split of McCain-Palin and Obama-Biden signs. And while looking for a bow tie for the boy at the Eastwood Mall in Warren OH, Teddy and I saw Obama stickers on people who sure looked the McCain-Palin part. That's certainly not scientific evidence, and I'm not sure if it means anything at all, but we were in the heartland of America that is eastern Ohio. I'll just leave it at that.

When dressing for the wedding, I pulled out my tie carrier, opened it up and found. . . a yellow rubber glove. At which point, I recalled Margaret fiddling with my tie carrier while helping Rodah clean the week before. Come to think of it, I still haven't tried to locate where she put my ties. . .

At the wedding, we spent a lot of time chasing Teddy. In fact, the boy was the big problem as he didn't want to sit still. Instead, he kept walking around wearing his little bow tie with his belly sticking out from under his little oxford shirt. Luckily, a number of other toddlers, including his second (?) cousin Brady, were trundling around the reception, so he wasn't a big problem. In fact, I noted to another toddler-chaser that we should've set up, and taken bets on, a toddler race. Notably, however, the best part was when someone else, like my Mom or Lizzie or Anna, watched Teddy.

But even still, the existence of the kids has definitely changed our "status" at weddings. As Abby noted, we now have a very different role at weddings. In the past, I would note the presence of kids, register how cute they were, and perhaps note their parents, at which point I would immediately go back to my conversation or whatever else I happened to be doing. "Gosh, aren't those cute kids on the dancefloor?," I'd think, before putting them out of my mind. Now, I am the source of those cute kids. And I'm the one being ignored by the younger set at weddings.

On the one hand, I'm sure that Abby and I could still be "fun" at weddings, even with the kids, although I'm not sure that I have the enthusiasm or stamina for such a feat. On the other hand, dancing with Margaret or watching her dance with her cousins was a lot of fun. In fact, I'm not sure whether anything that I've done at previous weddings beats dancing to some silly disco song with Margaret, Alex, Lizzie and Cousin Sarah (as Margaret refers to her).


Discover ABBA!


In the end, Teddy was completely wired. At some point, he was calmly sitting on my Mom's lap, and I asked my uncle, who could see the boy's face, whether he was asleep. Nope, he indicated, making a boooiiiingggg!!!! signal with his eyes.

And Margaret had so much fun dancing. Just before we go to bed each night, we have a routine that involves a discussion based on the question: "What do you want to talk about?" In the past, her preferred topics have been "fireworks" or various kids at her daycare. Since this past weekend, she's started to request a discussion about "dancing."

1 comment:

clara said...

Great pictures. Margaret indeed is a dancing princess.