Friday, September 19, 2008

The boy's comparative advantage

Teddy is disadvantaged for a number of reasons. First, he's the second kid. As my last post suggests, this implies that he doesn't get the same credit for his tricks that his sister did. Second, his sister is, and I have to be humble here, exceptional. She's speaking in complete sentences, using pronouns in the appropriate way, almost reading books - she's just a really, really smart little girl. (To be honest, she's probably not that exceptional, but I have only one data point and she's my kid, so I'll conclude that she is.)

But one area in which Teddy beats out his sister, even now despite their age difference, is his coordination with balls. In particular, when you toss a ball to Teddy, he can actually grab it. And can then toss it back to you. In contrast, Margaret consistently gets bonked on the head during such an exercise despite her participation in Power Tots at school - she'll come home and wave her legs around to display the tricks that she's learned in class, but she still can't catch a ball. Teddy, however, can. In fact, it was a bit amazing when we first started rolling balls in his direction. We expected him to flail futilely, trying to grab the ball, but he'd end up missing. Yet, he was able to corral the ball, gather it, and then send it back in the direction that it came. This leads me to think that we may have a future sports star on our hands.

While this isn't the best video, it at least indicates his skill with the ball.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, let me summarize, the dad is a rock star, the mum a wonder-woman-lawyer, the girl a genius and now the baby a sport hero- wouah, how lucky I am, I actually know them!

Manuz said...

Hah hah, D.