Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Nothing important to report, but here it is...

A few days ago, for no particular reason, Teddy ended up being put in his crib in Margaret's bedroom. Until recently, Teddy has slept in a pack-and-play in our room. Over the past few weeks, there have been rumblings about how he needs to learn how to sleep on his own. He's also started to pull himself up in the pack-and-play in ways that call into question the safety of that repository for the Tedster. So we plopped him in his crib the other night. And he slept pretty well. He woke up a few times in ways that drew our attention, but I suspect that we missed his minor "waking-up" events. Which, I suppose, is a major point of putting him in another room. (Also, Margaret didn't seem to wake up when Teddy fussed.)

As for number one, she's starting to work on her pronouns. To this point, she's very confused about the appropriate use of pronouns. She often refers to herself in the first person - "Margaret tries it?" I've tried to point out, with no success, that this way of referring to oneself is really only common among celebrities and eccentrics. And when she asks for help, she says "Help you?" which accurately reflects our statements to her, but misses certain subtleties.

The other day, however, Margaret and I were sitting on a bench in a park along the Potomac River (after she had taken a requisite flop in a mud puddle.) "Do you see any boats?," I asked her. "I see one," she replied. Although no boats were evident, I was ecstatic about her correct use of "I." Such a bright little girl!

No comments: