Sunday, January 23, 2011

A bad idea


There are lots of costs of having kids. Diapers, clothes, food, daycare, college funds - eventually it all adds up. But one cost that has always bugged me is associated with Teddy's haircuts. He hasn't had many, but to get him one, I tend to take him to the barber with me. When we're lucky, the barber charges him the half-price "kid rate". But most of the time, we end up paying the same amount for him as for me - around $25 with tip. (One could quibble that $25 is cheap for a men's haircut in DC, but that's not the point of this post.)

Part of me thinks that this is a good father-son bonding experience. While our barbershop isn't completely old-school, which would make it a real male bonding event, Teddy seems to enjoy it enough that I have figured that it's worth the cost. Still, I've always wondered whether we could figure out a better arrangement.

Back in December, Teddy and I spent some time wandering around the mall in Tyson's Corner while Mama and Margaret went to a performance of the Nutcracker. As we were walking through Macy's, I noticed a haircut set for around $30. (You can probably see where this will end up.) "Hmmm," I thought, "$30 for a razor.... that's almost as much as one haircut for the boy." I ended up buying it, in the process telling the checkout lady that it was for Teddy. "Does his mom know about this?," she asked. "Not really," I responded, "But maybe we'll make it a Christmas present."

Which we did. So, on Xmas day in Chicago, Mama and Teddy opened the haircut kit as a joint present. It has spent the last month sitting around our house as Teddy's hair has gotten longer and longer. We debated whether to take it back, but never got around to doing so. I read the guide included with the kit a few times and figured that it can't be that hard. After all, I've seen lots of barbers run their shears over my head without much subtlety. And my mom cut my hair until I was around 12, at which point my vanity necessitated heading to an actual salon.

To sum up: It's just absurdly expensive to get a 3-year-old's hair cut in DC, and it can't be that hard to cut his hair in any event. This past Saturday, Teddy was the guinea pig on which these various theories were tested. You can judge the results in the following pictures. Notably, his mom has been pretty tolerant about the whole situation, both the underlying theory and the actual implementation. I do, however, blame her for the ultimate length of his hair, as she kept saying, "It's too long in that spot" which led me to keep cutting more to even it out. And he was a squirmy little dude, making it even harder. Not sure if we'll give it another try, but I figure that every kid needs to have a crew-cut at some point.

5 comments:

Positive Thoughts said...

See the power of positive thoughts within you.

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Unknown said...

Agassi revealed the potential Microsoft Office 2010 Download economic impact via Duet so as to Lessen is often "huge.In From the many Wipe out client documents, pretty much all Office 2010 users help Office, on the other hand a lot lower take advantage of SAP programs immediately, he / she mentioned.This isn't instantly the most point this is previously occurred to Microsoft Office 2010 understand involving research Identity

Anonymous said...

This debris can be anything from salt carried in from winter boots to tiny pieces of paper that fall out of paper punches. Over time, this dirt can collect on the surfaces of the wheels and the wheel joints of an office chair. The result is that the wheel becomes physically obstructed and can't turn effectively.
When ever determining getting in touch with commit your cash internet based perhaps a certain off-line keep most frequently it is advised that [url=http://www.dalinsell.co.uk/]ugg Boots sale[/url]
you receive a volume much less space-consuming than you would possibly ordinarily pick. It will aid to be able to guarantee that you get the proper fit. Uggs will be referred to by maintain the toes warm and dry all through the cold climate, while they by no means inform you he is one hundred % water proof.
Acquiring several two UGG gives you style for your time period as properly as the specific envious appears in the one particular in addition to. In the end, this particular will get a excellent cheap ugg boots you are wearing. The most productive connected to solitary placed on.
UGG Sale When you know www.dalinsell.co.uk
that you are assured absolute comfort and considerable excellent. No need to have to be concerned about any of the variables arrive unfastened, or lacking materials in shade. These boots are a wonderful investment and are constructed to very last.
Today Ugg boots are a worldwide beloved and are worn by all different varieties of individuals. The top quality sheepskin material employed for Uggs keeps feet warm in the winter and cool [url=http://www.mpboots.co.uk/]cheap ugg Boots[/url]
in the summer. It also enables for feet to breathe and to keep dry.. I adore my UGGs! They are really beautiful, soft, warm, and comfy. I put on them throughout the year, with jeans and dresses, with or with out socks. The soft 100% sheepskin fleece keeps my feet warm and also the pure sheepskin insole tends to make me feel as though I am walking on your cloud.

Whitney Black said...

Very cute post.