Thursday, April 15, 2010

Adjusting to Maddie's absence

It's still difficult to come home from work and not see Maddie. Or to walk around the neighborhood without the dog. At this point in her life, Maddie wasn't doing the amazing things that she did in her prime, so it's more the overall routine that I miss. She was just there. Loitering around the kitchen. Helping with the yardwork. Jumping into the back of the car to accompany us to Target in the 'burbs or wherever we happened to be going. I'm so accustomed to thinking, "I'm going to 7-11 (or Oscar's store or Ricardo's store Griffin Market - two of the little bodegas in our neighborhood) and I'll take Maddie along and she'll wait outside for me" that it's really jarring, and not a little disorienting and depressing, to go by myself.

One thing that I really miss is her ability to "clean up" after the kids. Neither of the kids is a terribly neat eater at this point. Teddy, in particular, is quite a slob. So we end up with lots of rice or peas or whatever on the floor after dinner. And cereal all over the little breakfast table in the morning. In the past, I never gave much thought to these spills, as Maddie would invariably clean them up at some point. But now, they just sit there. So we have rice under the dinner table from a couple of days ago, waiting for Abby or me to vacuum it up. Even when I'm cooking dinner, I find that I'm amazingly careless about scattering little scraps on the floor during my food prep because, in the past, I could always count on her to take care of them.

Margaret knows that Maddie isn't here. (Not surprisingly, Teddy is basically clueless, although he has called her name or mentioned her a few times. But there's no depth to his mentions of her.) Yesterday, when we came home, Margaret yelled "Maddie!!" as we always do, then casually asked "Where's Maddie?" when the dog didn't appear. But she headed right for the bathroom without waiting for a response and didn't belabor the point. Nor did I. (By the way, it's exactly this sort of casual event - calling "Maddie" when we open the door after getting home - that is so freakin' difficult for me.)

Today, she was a bit more persistent, although not at the obvious time when we got home. "Where's Maddie?" she asked as we walked home, partly because she was whining about things in general and decided that this was a reasonable thing to whine about. "Well, Maddie got sick and had to go to the doctor," I told her. "But she'll miss us," Margaret replied. I told her that we'd talk about it later. Then when she asked the same question as we drove to Target to get stuff for her birthday party - again the type of situation where I really miss the dog because she would always be there in my rear view mirror as we drove somewhere after jumping into the back with a casual "Maddie up!" - and got the same response, she said, "But she'll miss us. And we'll miss her."

I don't think that Margaret can possibly understand the situation, even if she notices Maddie's absence. I think that I'll probably deflect her questions forever. I won't really lie to her (which some friends in Chicago suggested - "Maddie's gone to a farm" or something like that), but I'm not sure that it's even possible to have a meaningful or informative discussion about death with a four-year old.

A final thought is that I've been amazed by how sympathetic people are when they hear that you've lost a pet. I may be a bit inexperienced with grief, having lost few important people in my life. After all, I still have two 90-year old grandparents around (both of whom are going strong) and, until last year, had three. When people have told me that they've lost a pet in the past, I think that I've had a somewhat subdued response, partly because I don't want to intrude on their personal grief and partly because I don't have much experience with it. But when I mention that Maddie died, both to friends in Chicago and to people at work, it's been amazing how sympathetic people have been. And, I have to say, it really helps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you and realizing how much you miss Maddie. Know you're all in our hearts and our love.
Mom and Dad