Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pics from the Inauguration

We went to the Inauguration today. Headed out at about 8:30 and stood around until 1:00 when Obama finished his speech. We ended up watching the event on a jumbotron while standing just north of the Washington Monument in the midst of a big crowd whose extent I couldn't even fathom.

I don't have any deep thoughts at this point (as if any of my thoughts are that deep), but I will say that it was cold. And crowded. The kids didn't like the crowd too much as it prevented them from wandering around, and they were even less enamored with the cold. The boy kept fussing for most of the time we were there. Although I was getting ready to "send him back," a general phrase of discontent that we're using often for the boy at this point, it turns out that he was probably just chilly - his poor little hands and feet were really cold when we got home. But once we got home, he cheered up enough to enjoy the champagne toast that took place at the end of the day following Bush's final speech in Midland, Texas. Although I'm less of a partisan than most of the people who participated in that toast (much less those on the mall - geez, I'm such a killjoy as someone on Facebook noted about me), I not only raised my glass to send Bush on his way, I even suggested doing so with the bottle of Dom Perignon that we've had sitting around for years, just waiting for the appropriate time to break it open.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome video!

-unk S