Monday, November 24, 2008

Daddy's favorite

Some of my "Facebook friends" have accused me of playing favorites.

Regarding this accusation, a first point is that, yes, I have joined Facebook. Because I bitch and moan about how out of touch I am, I decided to join the preeminent social networking site and, sure enough, I am now in touch with people from high school that I haven't heard from in years. Now, I lived for almost two decades without being in touch with these people, so I'm not sure what I've gained by being a Facebook member. Perhaps I'm still just too old to appreciate the scope of Facebook.

A second point is that the Facebook commentators are probably correct, I do play favorites with Margaret receiving more attention and affection than Teddy. Margaret is simply more interesting than the boy. She can talk. She can (almost) read books. She's just very interesting to be around.

In contrast, as my last post suggests, the boy is a world of trouble. He requires constant attention to keep him from hurting himself. And he gets fussy for inexplicable reasons. Which, I think, sums up Teddy's drawbacks at this point - he simply isn't able to provide rational reasons for his various actions. He does have a charming chuckle - heh, heh, heh. And he has a funny walk, sort of like Redd Foxx from Sanford and Son. But, boy oh boy, is he a lot of work. When we visited Philly this past weekend, someone (usually Abby) had to chase Teddy around to keep him from plunging off the stairs.

In the meantime, Margaret, Andrew and I took the train into the city to see a kids' performance by the Philadelphia symphony. While she was a bit young for the show, Margaret was enthralled by the music. And she loved the train and the pizza that we had for lunch.

So I may be biased at this point, but the girl is just much more fun than the boy. I'm sure he'll come into his own, but it just gets tiresome to follow him around trying to keep him in check.

No comments: