Monday, November 12, 2007

Birdland



There are two reasons for this soundtrack. First, we heard this song on the radio on our way out of Philly this weekend after paying a visit to the Philly relatives. We were tuned into the UPenn radio station, and when this song started playing (right around the point where our tire blew out the last time we went to Philly), I said "Are they actually playing 'Birdland'? I've never heard this on the radio." Abby, being understandably ignorant of these things, was silent. So I proceeded to give a lengthy description (helps kill time when driving to DC from Philly) of who 'Weather Report' was and how this song was a big hit in the discos of 1977 despite it's jazz roots.

Now the second reason for this song: Why, you ask, do we care? Well, we don't really except that my brother was stuck filling in for someone on a late night public radio show in Minneapolis. The person he was replacing apparently left him with a defective play list, so he was forced to wing it. Despite the focus of the show on techno music, something that my brother was not terribly familiar with, this song was stuck in my head so I said that I would have played "Birdland", and screw the response of the audience. But that song never would've entered my mind without the visit to Philly.

More on the Philly trip later

No comments: