Friday, August 3, 2007

Technological issues

Margaret and Mama are in Minnesota for the weekend, so Maddie and I have plenty of free time to screw around online after midnight. One thing that we've discovered is that our previous favorite picture hosting site, PictureTrail, has fairly draconian restrictions on the number of photos that they can store for you without a fee. Those of you who are big fans of the blog (sic) and like to look back through the archives (sic, seriously) may have noticed that the PictureTrail components of certain entries have lost some photos. This occurred when I tried to delete some photos to make room for new ones.

Looking around online for other picture hosts, I found a link that noted how to post slideshows from Flickr. If you feel inclined to look back through previous posts (check out the post just before this one, for example), you'll see that I've replaced some PictureTrail stuff with Flickr slideshows. Better resolution, I think, but without the neato effects that PictureTrail offered. I also think that if you, the reader, click on photos in the Flickr slideshow, it's easier for you to actually order those photos, if you're so inclined.

At first, I thought that I'd figured it out. Until I realized that Flickr also limited the number of slideshows that I could post on their site (and, hence, link to on the blog.) In the end, I had to buy a membership to Flickr to enable sufficient room for the various baby photos that MUST be posted here.

So my question is: Was my $25 wisely spent? Is the quality of the Flickr slideshows sufficiently better than the PictureTrail stuff to justify the cost? What about the ability to buy photos? Ah, the difficulties of technology. Lord knows, however, that once I've paid for UNLIMITED photo posting, I'll certainly take advantage of it. So look forward to UNLIMITED baby photos in the future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the flicker pictures are clearer. I thought the picture trail slide shows were clever, but I like either as long as I can see Maggie and you all. Can't tell you how much I enjoy your blog. Mom (Glen Ellyn)