Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A comment on recent style trends - and something more!

I've recently noticed a trend in the style of women's clothing. Typically, I'm not very perceptive about style trends, especially for women's clothing. Regarding my overall sense of style, heck, I've been wearing the same basic clothes since I graduated from college. There was a period in the early 90s when my clothes were in vogue - I believe it was known as the "grunge" era. But just you wait, someday baggy flannel shirts will come back into style.

Lately, however, I've noticed a particular trend in women's clothing. It involves tops that are gathered just under the bosom that then billow out around the waist. My initial query to Abigail about this trend was: "Why is everyone wearing maternity clothes?" As my female colleagues at work later confirmed, Abby informed me that this is known as the "empire waist." Apparently, this is the style de jour for women's clothing. But I maintain that this is one of the most unfortunate trends in women's clothing over the last few years - almost everyone who wears such a garment looks pregnant. I have been told that this is a response to the tight-clothing movement of the last few years and that this style helps hide bulges, but I cannot fathom why one would want to appear as if she were pregnant.

Why, you might ask, is my critique of female fashion relevant for the kid, the dog or us? Well, it turns out that we're expecting another addition to the family. Sometime in October, Margaret and Maddie will face a new rival for attention. Admittedly, this is not the most tactful way to announce this news. But those who are avid readers of this blog (if they exist) will receive official notice at some point in the future and, due to their attentiveness, are now being informed before anyone else. And, to bring the post full circle, our readers should be pleased to know that the prevalence of the "empire waist" implies that maternity wear is much more accessible and stylish than it has been in the past.

No comments: