Thursday, February 8, 2007

Margaret at day care

Although it's now a few months old, this is Margaret's first "class picture" from day care in the GSA building (you can click on the picture to enlarge it.) Kids transition into the toddler room on a regular enough basis that the class list is pretty fluid, but on the front row (from left to right), you've got Yuta, Ms. Kiran, Erin, our little Margaret, Ms. Jakki, Brooke, some kid I can't remember, Ms. Krystal, and sleepy little Sean. The back row has goofy Kevin, Ms. Claire, Katie, Big Ben, Ms. Dominique, Mickey, Katherine, Ms. LaDonya, and Wyatt. It's funny, but I know almost all of the kids by name (and they recognize me too based on the big grins I get when I come to visit or pick up Margaret), but I know none of their parents. This seems to be the case for other parents too since while we recognize each other and exchange pleasantries, they all know Margaret by name. Frankly, some of the kids can be pills, crying and fussing a lot. But all of the caretakers seem to really like Margaret. She's a "busy girl!" they say, always messing around with stuff, especially stealing toys from other kids. She doesn't nap very well (never has) and fusses when she's hungry, but I think that they view her as a pretty happy, good humored kid. My Jakki likes to "dance" with her, while Ms. LaDonya says that they have "serious conversations." And Ms. Kiran likes to sing standard kiddie songs, albeit in a droning sort of style reminiscent of south Asian music. Lately, I think that they've given up on getting her to nap more than once during the day, so she has been zonking out while bundled up in the Baby Bjorn during the walk home.

Turns out that Ms. Jakki is pregnant, so I told her "You know, Ms. Jakki, kids can be difficult." As Wyatt was precariously climbing on top of a toybox, Sebastian was having a meltdown, and Sean was putting some unidentified thing in his mouth. She just gave me a beatific smile while Ms. LaDonya giggled.

No comments: